CARL IS HERE!
As of May 29th, the Library has upgraded to a new online catalog and checkout system (CARL)! Thank you for your cooperation as we made this transition to our new system!
MATERIALS RETURNED THE WEEK OF MAY 29TH
During our closure May 25th through May 28th, both our manual and automatic book drops were unavailable. No materials were due and no fines accrued during the closure. All materials may be returned starting Tuesday, May 29th.
Due to our closure, please allow 24-48 hours after we reopen for all materials to be checked in and for all account issues to be resolved. Should you have any remaining account issues, please contact us for assistance. Thank you for helping us make this transition easier!
UPDATING YOUR PATRON ACCOUNT
During our migration, some patron settings needed to be reset. Make sure your My Account settings are correct for the following items:
Step 1: Log into your account.
- Go to our online catalog: catalog.tln.lib.mi.us
- Click the blue “Log In” link in the top right corner.
- Enter the library card number and PIN.
- Click on [Your]’s Account.
Step 2: Check/Change Your PIN
- Patron PIN numbers must ONLY be numeric and 4-6 numbers in length. Patrons who had PINs that included letters or exceeded six characters that weren’t changed before May 25th are now the last four digits of the patron's phone number on their account.
- To change your PIN, under Account Summary, click “Library PIN” to set a new PIN. You will need to know your old PIN.
- If you don’t know your old PIN, you will need to come in to the library in person, present your Driver’s License and Library Card, and a staff member can reset it for you. Unfortunately, due to privacy issues, this cannot be done by phone.
Step 3: Sign Up For Text Notifications & Email Receipts
- Any patron who was previously signed up for text notifications will need to re-opt in to receive them.
- To opt in for text notifications and email receipts, under Account Summary, click “Opt-In & Notification.”
- Current email address and phone and carrier information is required to receive email and/or SMS notifications. Patrons need to review and update their contact information if they wish to receive these notices.
- Once a patron’s contact info is correctly updated, they may check the corresponding boxes to receive text notifications for Hold Shelf Notices (when a hold is available for pickup) and/or Coming Due Notices (a notice 3 days prior to when item(s) are due).
- If a patron would like to receive a copy of their checkout and renewal Receipts by email, they may check the corresponding box.
In preparation for the migration to a new system, MeLCat services will be suspended on April 1, 2018 with a NEW tentative resume date of September 5, 2018. MeLCat requests will not be allowed during this period, but any previously checked out MeLCat items can still be returned to NPL. Any MeLCat items checked out prior to April 1st will only be allowed one checkout period of 3 weeks. In order to ensure prompt return of materials during the suspension, no renewals will be allowed. We apologize for the inconvenience!
WHAT CAN YOU EXPECT FROM CARL?
- More User Friendly Catalog
- Easier Searching & More Relevant Results
- Interactive Touch-Screen Kids Catalog
- Innovative Account Management
- Effortless Integration with eBooks & eAudio
- More Intuitive Mobile Catalog
- More User-Friendly & Intuitive Design & Look
- Improved integration with eBooks & eAudio
- Better Account Management
- Easier Access to Event & Program Info
- Digital Library Card Feature
- More Efficient Checkout System
- Improved Staff Client to Save You Time
- Customizable Receipt Options
- Customizable Notification Options
- Updated Self-Check Stations
Will my current library card work with the new system?
Yes. Your current library card and account will carry over to the new system automatically. You do not need to get a new library card.
What happens to my pending holds?
All of your holds will carry over to the new system. Your place in the holds queue will remain the same.
Where can I find updates on your system upgrade?
Check back to this page often for all of the latest updates as we prepare for this new system.