41414 Thirteen Mile Road
The building that once housed the Bassett School still stands on the corner of 13 Mile and Meadowbrook Roads. Although the school was not built on land owned by the Bassett family, the school was known as the Bassett School. Typically, a sponsoring family might have supplied property to construct a school, materials and/or funds to build the school, room and/or board for the teacher, text books and other learning materials or other support. John Bassett, owner of the Bassett Farm on Meadowbrook Road north of 12 Mile, was known for his large library and strong belief in education.
From: History of Oakland County Michigan
(1877) by Samuel W. Durant
The schools of Novi are eleven in number, taught in substantial and commodious houses. The terms in most of the districts are two, each four months in duration, though this is not universal, as in district No. 8, embracing Novi Corners, there is held a spring, fall and winter term, aggregating nine months of teaching in the year. Male teachers are employed for the winter term, and females for the summer, the salaries of the former being generally forty five dollars per month, and those of the latter ranging from three dollars to five dollars per week, with board.