Where: 46689 West Road, Novi, Michigan 48377
This two story Italianate house is known as the Chapman House or the Chapman/Porter house. The house features a low-pitched, square roof typical of the Italianate style of architecture. As with most old farmsteads, the Chapman house also bears evidence of numerous additions. Many farm homes would grow as the family within grew and prospered. The property also sports a row of Austrian pines, a species typical of old farmsteads.
The Chapman family and relatives owned this property near Walled Lake and other property elsewhere in what is now Novi. The Chapman’s were instrumental in starting an early school in the Novi area. During the 1940’s the Chapman House was converted from a residence to a restaurant know especially for its Chicken.