Where: 46400 Ten Mile, Novi, Michigan 48377
This brick two story Italianate residence was built by Richmond Simmons. This home was the second brick home built in Novi, the first being erected by Owen Whipple just west of Novi Corners in 1856. The house and outbuilding were once part of a farm comprised of over 150 acres. The Simmons farm was primarily focused on fruit production. Fruit trees, especially apples, were grown widely throughout SE Michigan. Novi and the surrounding communities were especially known for the quantity and quality of the fruit which they produced. The location of a railroad depot in the community allowed Novi farmers to get their produce to market easily, cheaply and in a timely manner.