Emery Farm / Vennix Residence
Emery House/Vennix Residence
Built in 1860, the Emery Home is a beautifully preserved example of Greek Revival architecture. Greek Revival architecture was very popular in the early to mid 1800’s. During this time period, almost all public and private buildings incorporated some of its elements. This style of building was characterized by symmetrical shape, low roof lines, columns and pediments mimicking Greek temples. It was thought by Americans of the time to embody the concept of Democracy. Although this style of architecture could become fairly lavish in the South, in the North, homes were austere farmhouses with understated columns and were almost always painted white.
This house was owned by John C. Emery II. John Cutler Emery II, was a son of Josiah Emery, brother of John Emery. The first John Emery was an early Novi settler and the first physician in community. Emery II owned 120 acres surrounding this home. He was a prominent member of the Novi community, serving as the Township supervisor from 1859 to 1866 and as Justice of the Peace in 1867.