2017 Technology Survey Results
Thank you for participating in our Technology Survey. Click here to view our answers to questions submitted by our patrons. We hope this helps you understand more about the Library's technology.
Loaning Out a Mobile Hotspot
Patrons 18 or older are now able to checkout a Mobile Hotspot for one week to share unlimited data with up to 10 Wi-Fi-enabled devices. The three mobile hotspots use the T-Mobile network, provide 1GB high speed 4G LTE coverage, are PC-friendly and play nicely with your Mac or Linux computer. The device does not filter content. Parents and caregivers are responsible for monitoring children's online activity. Use the hotspot to conduct research, complete homework, view entertainment or stay connected with family and friends.
Novi patrons must have and present a valid Novi Public Library card that is not blocked in order to check out a Mobile HotSpot.
Click here for more information on our 3D Printer.
Download the Library’s App! It’s easy! If you are an iPhone or Android user, just search the Novi Public Library in the Google Play or App store or use the links below. The app allows you to search the catalog, place holds, view upcoming events and stay connected with us wherever you go!
Download our app!
Google Play Store
Barcode Wallet in NPL App
Did you know you can store all of them in our Mobile App? Simply click Barcode Wallet from the main menu and manage several cards at once. Barcode Wallet-another reason to download our Mobile App.
In addition to the software available on the Adult Computers, the Creation Station has a flatbed scanner capable of scanning photos, slides/negatives or text. You can preserve valuable family memories by digitizing photos and slides, transfer a VHS or VHS-C tape to DVD or produce a podcast. If you prefer not to alter your video, we also have equipment for VHS/VHS-C to DVD Direct Dubbing. The Creation Station has the software and hardware necessary for most digital projects. Make sharing family memories easy and fun!
Vinyl or Cassette to Digital
We now have a device which will allow patrons to transfer audio from vinyl records and cassette tapes to a digital format. The device features a simple click and capture software package that makes capturing audio simple. Your only limit is the size of your USB drive. We’ve also added Tagging and Audio editing tools to the workstation, just in case your files need a little clean up.
Wireless Internet Access
The Novi Public Library provides wireless internet access to our patrons on their laptops or other wireless-enabled mobile devices for internet and email access. As with most public wireless “hot spots”, the library’s wireless is not secure. Cautious and informed wireless users should choose not to transmit their credit card information, passwords or other sensitive personal information while using any wireless “hot spot”.
We offer patrons the ability to print from inside or outside the Library using an internet/email enabled device and to claim their print jobs at one of our public printers. Users have the option to send their print jobs by email or use the PrinterOn mobile app. Please use the links below to access our MobilePrint Service.
PrinterOn Mobile App Download
We lend laptops for use in the Library:
- Loan period is from time of checkout until 30 minutes before the Library closes the same day.
- Laptop is checked out for the day on a valid TLN library card that is not blocked in the Shared System.
- Only one laptop may be checked out per library card.
- Laptop may only be used inside the Library building or on the gated back patio.
Lending Laptop Rules and Procedures
Computer Use Policy
NPL Technology Plan
Technology Plan 2016-2019
Guidelines for Computer Use
- A valid library card with PIN or a Visitor Pass is required to use any computer except the Library Catalogs.
- A Visitor Pass is available for $1 at the Information Desk for patrons without a library card. A great reason to sign-up now for a library card.
- No cell phone calls at the computers.
- Files may be saved to a USB device (8GB flash drives available at the Check-Out Desk for $5) or temporarily to the "My Documents" folder.
- Printing from the computers in black & white costs 10 cents per page and color costs 50 cents per page. Value may be added to your library card at either the Check-Out or Information Desks.
- Photocopiers are capable of scanning to email for free or printing color at 50 cents a page or both sides for a $1.00. Black and white copies can also be made at 10 cents a page or both sides for 20 cents.
Equipment the Library Maintains for Public Use
- Computers for searching our library catalog, online databases and access to the internet. Time limits are enforced when public demand exceeds computer availability.
- Computers with software called Mango to learn a new language. Headsets with microphones are available at the Information Desk for use in the library.
- Second floor computers for adults with internet access, earbuds are available for $1.50 at the Check-Out Desk.
- First floor computers are for patrons 17 and under and headphones are available at the Information Desk. Adults may be at the same computer with a child to assist them.