Information Services Youth Librarian, Part-Time
Thursday, February 27, 2020 5PM
$21.90 per hour
Detailed Job Description
- Provides readers' advisory, reference services and computer assistance using a variety of collections, materials and formats.
- Participates in collection development and maintenance, keeping within monetary and
- physical space constraints.
- Promotes programming services appropriate to the needs of the community.
- Trains and assists guests with day-to-day computer questions and learning new technology and software.
- Engages in outreach opportunities within the community.
- Plan and present story times with an emphasis on early literacy development.
- MLS from an ALA accredited school.
- Knowledge of ALA's five early literacy practices.
- Experience providing Every Child Ready to Read - based story times.
- Knowledge of adult and youth literature.
- Adapts and responds to multiple priorities, interruptions and dema nd s, and resolves problem situations in a positive manner.
- Seeks professional continuing education, both organized and casual, with an air toward
- keeping services current and appropriate; member of professional development; member of internal and external committees.
- Communicates effectively with guests. co-workers, and professional colleagues.
- Enforces library policies relevant to public use ; responds to emergencies and provides supp ort, as needed; acts quickly exercising good judgment.
- Mentors and trains MLS Library Intern; trains and oversees department volunteers; scheduling of department staff.
- Works positively and collaboratively across departments to accomplish department goals.
- Dedication to public service.
- Dedicated to providing positive customer service.
- Enthusiastic, friendly, self-motivated and creative and approachable.
- Strong obligation to confidentiality.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Proficient in MS Office, Internet browsers, and other computer related technology.
- Excellent verbal. written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Values diversity in the workplace and in the community.
- Ability to speak multiple languages helpful.
- Performs other duties as assigned.Physical mobility, vision, hearing, and manual dexterity essential.
- Maintain physical condition necessary for sitting, standing, bending, and /or walking for extended periods of time; stooping; crouching; reaching; carrying books or boxes of books; pushing book carts; seeing; keyboarding; using the telephone ; lifting, pushing, pulling or carrying objects weighing up to 50 pounds; push or pull with wheeled cart up to 500 pounds; operating assigned equipment; picking up litter; spreading ice melt.
- Evening and weekend hours required.
Hours: 20 hours per week
- Monday, 2:30pm - 9:00pm
- Wednesday, 9:30am - 4:00pm
- Friday/Saturday (C Team), 9:30am - 6:00pm
Benefits: Time benefits (vacation, holiday, personal business and sick) based on a part-time employee formula.
How to Apply
Resume, cover letter and application required.
Send to: Marcia Dominick, Administrative Assistant
Novi Public Library
45255 W. Ten Mile Road
Novi, Michigan 48375