44107 Grand River, Novi, Michigan
Built in 1938 by the Button family, the property accommodated both residential and commercial activities, including an existing cheese factory. This building demonstrates one of the earliest appearances of the International architecture styles in Novi. The common characteristics of the International style include: a radical simplification of form, a rejection of ornament, and adoption of glass, steel and concrete as preferred materials. Further, the transparency of buildings, construction (called the honest expression of structure), and acceptance of industrialized mass-production techniques contributed to the international style's design philosophy.