Novi Train Depot
43963 Grand River, Novi, Michigan 48377
During the early and mid 1800’s, travel was difficult. Muddy roads and horse drawn vehicles did not allow fast transport or conveyance of large loads. Although railroads were constructed in Michigan beginning in 1838, they did not arrive in Novi until the early 1870’s. Railroads allowed the transportation of large quantities of materials, quickly and at much lower shipping rates than was possible via horse and wagon. The arrival of the railroad was a boon to the Novi community. Farmers were able to ship commodities that were bulky and/or perishable to markets in Detroit, Chicago and elsewhere in the United States. Novi was selected to be on the route of the Pere Marquette railroad rather than its neighbor West Novi (located on the corner of Wixom and Grand River Roads). The presence of the railroad allowed Novi to thrive. Without it, West Novi faded away.