2019 Battle of the Books
The battle of the Books will take place on Saturday, March 16, 2019. Mandatory coaches meeting will be on Tuesday, December 11 at 7:00pm at the library.
- The Battle of the Books Team Registration Form will be available Monday, November 26, 2018.
- Forms must be emailed to April Stevenson.
- Registration is limited to the first twelve teams to return their registration form.
- Coaches serve as the contact person between the team and the library, and keep all parties informed of any changes.
- Coaches accompany and supervise his/her team for the entire Battle of the Books Program.
- Coaches provide or arrange transportation for team members to and from the actual Battle of the Books. Please note that team members and their coach must arrive at least a half and hour prior to the start of the Battle.
- Teams must consist of 3 to 6 members who either live in Novi or attend Novi Schools.
- If you have any questions please call April Stevenson at 248-869-7227 or Lindsay Fricke at 248-869-7218.
What is a Battle of the Books?
This is a program designed to encourage reading and to recognize young people who like to read.
Who may participate?
All 5th and 6th grade students who live or attend school in Novi are eligible to participate by organizing their own teams of 3-6 students, plus an adult coach.
What happens during the Battle?
Students read from a list of 6 books and then participate in a contest where each team answers questions about those books as a team. Prizes will be awarded to first, second, and third place teams.
How do we enter the Battle?
An online registration form will be available in late fall. The first 12 teams to complete their entry form will be eligible to participate in the Battle.
What does the adult coach do?
Any parent, teacher, or other interested adult over 18 may be a coach. All coaches must attend a kick-off meeting at the Novi Public Library. The list of books to be read will be announced and a set of books for each team distributed. Coaches keep their teams motivated and make sure members are reading their books.
Battle of the Books
The staff of The Novi Public Library would like to acknowledge and congratulate the all 5th and 6th grade Novi children who participate in our Annual Battle of the Books every year. Twelve teams participated, reading the same six books and coming together in a competition to answer questions about those books. We also celebrate the commitment of their parents and coaches who spent so many hours reading and preparing these youngsters for the competition. To us, every single one of these young students is a winner for participating in our event.